Sunday, September 23, 2007

Shelley---Declaration of Rights

Most of Shelley's Declaration sounded very familiar, probably because of its constitutional language, and because most of these rights have been discussed, argued, ignored, and celebrated throughout history. However, there were a couple of rights that made me consider the present state of the world, and the events that are currently happening. I am talking about rights 17 and 19.
I guess Shelley would be an anti-Bush critic.--Right 17..'No man has a right to do an evil thing that good may come.' When I read this, I immediately thought of the war in Iraq. Wasn't the opposite of this 'right' the exact justification for the war? And Right 19, "Man has no right to kill his brother, it is no excuse that he does so in uniform. He only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder." Obviously, same thing. It is impressive how writing from two centuries ago can still be so applicable. I bet Shelley would make a good president.

No comments: